Lennon stayed at her side at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, London, sleeping overnight next to her. When his bed was needed for a patient he slept on the floor.
Just before the miscarriage, the foetal heartbeat was recorded. It was included in Lennon and Ono’s 1969 album Life With The Lions, followed by two minutes’ silence.
The unborn child was named John Ono Lennon II, and was buried by the couple in a secret location. It was later claimed that Ono’s miscarriage was caused by the stress of their October drugs bust and subsequent arrest.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1995: Album release: Anthology 1
- 1968: George Harrison performs on Badge by Cream
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Carlisle
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: George Harrison is deported from Germany
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.