The Beatles gave their 145th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day. It was also the 43rd occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 257th known performance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre, including evening appearances.
This show was originally to have featured The Remo Four, but The Beatles swapped due to a BBC television audition which took place in London on 23 November 1962. The Beatles’ audition was arranged at short notice, so The Remo Four played their Cavern booking on that date instead.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 1995: Album release: Anthology 1
- 1968: George Harrison performs on Badge by Cream
- 1968: Yoko Ono suffers a miscarriage
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Carlisle
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Merseyside Civil Service Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1960: George Harrison is deported from Germany
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.