The Beatles topped the bill on their fifth appearance on ABC Television’s Thank Your Lucky Stars, recorded at the Alpha Television Studios in Birmingham, England.
The show was recorded on the afternoon of Sunday 20 October 1963, and was broadcast the following Saturday from 5.50-6.35pm. The Beatles mimed to three songs: ‘All My Loving’, ‘Money (That’s What I Want)’ and ‘She Loves You’.
Two of the EMI recordings had not been heard before; the show’s producer Philip Jones had been given advance acetate discs of them, and successfully persuaded Brian Epstein to have them premièred on Thank Your Lucky Stars before the release of With The Beatles.
While The Beatles were inside the studios, 3,000 fans blocked the streets outside and attempted to storm the building.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1969: Mixing: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: US album release: Wedding Album by John & Yoko
- 1968: Paul McCartney and Linda Eastman holiday in New York
- 1967: Recording: The Fool On The Hill, Hello, Goodbye
- 1965: Recording: We Can Work It Out
- 1964: Live: Caird Hall, Dundee
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Hull
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.