Two recording sessions were scheduled on this day. The first lasted from 2.30-6.30pm, and saw the rehearsal of the song plus the taping of two takes of the rhythm track. This included bass guitar by Paul McCartney, drums by Ringo Starr, John Lennon's Gibson Jumbo acoustic guitar, and tambourine by George Harrison.
The evening session took place from 7-11.45pm. On track two of the four-track tape McCartney and Lennon recorded their vocals, and track three contained a harmonium part played by Lennon.
The song was completed on 29 October with the addition of more vocals by McCartney and a second harmonium part from Lennon.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1969: Mixing: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: US album release: Wedding Album by John & Yoko
- 1968: Paul McCartney and Linda Eastman holiday in New York
- 1967: Recording: The Fool On The Hill, Hello, Goodbye
- 1964: Live: Caird Hall, Dundee
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Hull
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.