This was The Beatles’ first live show in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The venue was situated on Westgate Road.
They performed once more at this venue in 1963, and three times at the City Hall, returning there in 1965.
The site of the Majestic Ballroom was originally a cinema, the Picture House, which was open between 1912 and 1927. It reopened later that year as the New Westgate Cinema.
The venue became the Majestic Ballroom from 26 February 1959, and after many music shows was later converted to a bingo club. In 2005 it was restored and reopened as the Academy, and is still in use as a music venue.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Ringo to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star in February
- 2010: First official Beatles iPhone app is released
- 1969: Allen Klein meets The Beatles
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 17
- 1964: Travel: Lennon and Harrison fly from Paris to London
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.