The Beatles took part in only four official autograph signing sessions, two of which were on this day.
The first was at Dawson’s music shop, at 29 Albert Road in Widnes, Cheshire. The signing began at 4pm and lasted for half an hour.
This was the day after the group’s first single, Love Me Do, was released. Each Beatle signed their name on the single’s red and silver label. Copies today are extremely valuable, due in part to the short duration of the signing.
The Beatles’ second autograph signing session took place later on this day, at The Music Shop, 134 Widnes Road, Widnes.
The third signing occurred on 24 January 1963 at NEMS, Brian Epstein’s record store in Liverpool, to coincide with the release of the Please Please Me single. A fourth session took place at the Wimbledon Palais, London on 14 December 1963, following their show for the Southern Area Fan Club members.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Eight Paul McCartney albums to be reissued on CD and vinyl
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at CenturyLink Arena, Boise, Idaho
- 1969: US single release: Something/Come Together
- 1967: Recording: Blue Jay Way
- 1964: Recording: Eight Days A Week
- 1963: Live: Carlton Theatre, Kirkcaldy
- 1962: Live: Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight
- 1962: Autograph signing: The Music Shop, Widnes
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.