This was the third date of The Beatles’ second residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany, situated on Große Freiheit off the Reeperbahn.
The Beatles performed for three and a half hours each night, for which they were each paid 600DM (£53.50) a week. On occasion they shared a bill with Little Richard, whom they had performed with in Liverpool the previous month.
Also on this day...
- 1998: US album release: Wonsaponatime by John Lennon
- 1998: US album release: John Lennon Anthology
- 1987: US album release: Cloud Nine by George Harrison
- 1986: UK album release: Menlove Ave by John Lennon
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Recording: Michelle
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.