The Beatles gave their 50th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 71st known performance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre, including evening appearances.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 1998: US album release: Wonsaponatime by John Lennon
- 1998: US album release: John Lennon Anthology
- 1987: US album release: Cloud Nine by George Harrison
- 1986: UK album release: Menlove Ave by John Lennon
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Recording: Michelle
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.