The Beatles were filmed in Starr’s back garden, with each band member pretending to play a white cello. When prior scenes for the song were filmed in West Malling in September 1967, a cello had not been recorded for the song, hence the need for additional footage now.
The band was also filmed playing football in the garden.
Harrison was also filmed running down some steps in the garden, children played nearby, and the cello was shown with lit fireworks behind it.
Inside the house, Mal Evans stood bare-chested as the West Malling sequence was projected onto him, and The Beatles were filmed watching the footage on a screen.
Also on this day...
- 1998: US album release: Wonsaponatime by John Lennon
- 1998: US album release: John Lennon Anthology
- 1987: US album release: Cloud Nine by George Harrison
- 1986: UK album release: Menlove Ave by John Lennon
- 1965: Recording: Michelle
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.