This was The Beatles' first performance at the Cassanova Club, promoted by Sam R Leach.
The Cassanova Club was situated above Sampson & Barlow's Restaurant at 39 London Road, Liverpool. The club was previously sited in The Temple, Dale Street, Liverpool, but moved to this location on 9 February 1961.
The Beatles had performed at the Cassanova on the date of the original venue's opening (date unknown), but Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club, told them they were not allowed to play at both venues. The restriction was later lifted, and The Beatles played many times at events promoted by Sam Leach.
Also on this day...
- 2010: All You Need Is Love to be released as a Beatles Rock Band download
- 1970: Plastic Ono Band perform Instant Karma! on Top Of The Pops
- 1970: New York première of The Magic Christian
- 1970: Recording, mixing: I’m A Fool To Care by Ringo Starr
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Hey Bulldog
- 1966: UK single release: Woman by Peter And Gordon
- 1965: Ringo Starr marries Maureen Cox
- 1964: Live: Washington Coliseum, Washington, DC
- 1963: Recording: Please Please Me album
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.