This was The Beatles’ second performance at the Cassanova Club, promoted by Sam R Leach.
The Cassanova Club was situated above Sampson & Barlow’s Restaurant at 39 London Road, Liverpool. The club was previously sited in The Temple, Dale Street, Liverpool, but moved to this location on 9 February 1961.
The Beatles played at the Cassanova Club on seven occasions. The other dates were 11, 16, 21 and 28 February, and 7 and 12 March 1961.
The Beatles had performed at the Cassanova on the date of the original venue’s opening (date unknown), but Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club, told them they were not allowed to play at both venues. The restriction was later lifted, and The Beatles played many times at events promoted by Sam Leach.
After this show they gave another performance at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Irving Plaza, New York
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: UT Tyler Cowan Center, Tyler, Texas
- 1972: Wings live: Lancaster University
- 1968: Mal Evans flies to India
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Only A Northern Song
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Locarno Ballroom, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.