This was The Beatles’ fourth performance at the Cassanova Club, promoted by Sam R Leach.
The Cassanova Club was situated above Sampson & Barlow’s Restaurant at 39 London Road, Liverpool. The club was previously sited in The Temple, Dale Street, Liverpool, but moved to this location on 9 February 1961.
The Beatles had performed at the Cassanova on the date of the original venue’s opening (date unknown), but Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club, told them they were not allowed to play at both venues. The restriction was later lifted, and The Beatles played many times at events promoted by Sam Leach.
After this show they gave another performance at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Hard Rock Hotel, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- 2010: EMI: Abbey Road is not for sale
- 1975: UK album release: Rock ‘N’ Roll by John Lennon
- 1972: Wings live: Birmingham University
- 1970: Mixing: The Lovely Linda, Momma Miss America, Glasses, Singalong Junk by Paul McCartney
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Fixing A Hole
- 1966: US single release: Nowhere Man
- 1964: Travel: Miami to New York to London
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.