The Beatles’ assistant Mal Evans gathered together luggage belonging to George and Pattie Harrison, her sister Jenny, plus John and Cynthia Lennon, to take it to India ahead of their trip to study Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
Evans took Qantas flight 754 to Delhi, flying from London Airport. There was a charge of £195.19.6d for the excess baggage, a considerable sum in 1968.
His early flight was in order to arrange the necessary transport for the group when they arrived early on 16 February.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Irving Plaza, New York
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at UT Tyler Cowan Center, Tyler, TX, USA
- 1994: US album release: Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest by The Fireman (Paul McCartney and Youth)
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Only A Northern Song
- 1964: Rehearsal for The Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Locarno Ballroom, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cassanova Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.