Sir Paul McCartney's On The Run tour continued to South America with a concert at the Estadio Centenario in Montevideo, Uruguay.
The band's equipment began arriving at the stadium on Tuesday 10 April. Around 50,000 tickets, priced from $50-800 sold out in two days – the first 28,000 sold out online in just 45 minutes.
McCartney's band was Paul 'Wix' Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
At the soundcheck prior to the concert, McCartney invited a two-year-old fan onto the stage to play alongside the band. The boy, Ichiro, was wearing a Sgt Pepper-style costume and carried a replica Hofner bass guitar.
Ichiro had travelled with his parents from Argentina. Security guards alerted McCartney, who insisted on bringing the boy onto the stage for a performance of The Beatles' 1969 hit Get Back.
Ichiro was a fan even before he was born. This was an incredible moment. No one is bigger than Paul McCartney.
- Hello, Goodbye
- Junior's Farm
- All My Loving
- Got To Get You Into My Life
- Sing The Changes
- The Night Before
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- The Long And Winding Road
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- My Valentine
- Maybe I'm Amazed
- I'm Looking Through You
- Two Of Us
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Band On The Run
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Back In The USSR
- I've Got A Feeling
- A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live and Let Die
- Hey Jude
Previous On The Run tour dates:
- 15 July 2011: Yankee Stadium, New York
- 16 July 2011: Yankee Stadium, New York
- 24 July 2011: Comerica Park, Detroit
- 26 July 2011: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 27 July 2011: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 31 July 2011: Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 1 August 2011: Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 4 August 2011: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
- 13 November 2011: Yas Arena, Abu Dhabi
- 26 November 2011: Unipol Arena, Bologna, Italy
- 27 November 2011: Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy
- 30 November 2011: Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
- 1 December 2011: Lanxess Arena, Köln, Germany
- 5 December 2011: O2 Arena, London
- 10 December 2011: Ericsson Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
- 12 December 2011: Hartwall Areena, Helsinki, Finland
- 14 December 2011: Olimpiyskiy Arena, Moscow, Russia
- 19 December 2011: Manchester Evening News Arena, Manchester
- 20 December 2011: Echo Arena, Liverpool
- 24 March 2012: Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 26 March 2012: Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland
- 28 March 2012: Sportpaleis, Antwerp, Belgium
Also on this day...
- 1964: Television: A Degree Of Frost
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Bridge Hotel, Tenbury Wells
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1941: Jim McCartney marries Mary Mohin
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.