Studio Two (control room), EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Geoff Emerick
Engineers: Peter Bown, Jeff Jarratt
For reasons unknown, ‘The Inner Light’, the b-side to The Beatles’ 1968 single ‘Lady Madonna’, was given its first stereo mix on this day.
Just one mix was made, in a session that lasted from 10-11.30am. It remained unreleased until 1981, when it was included on a bonus EP named The Beatles which was included with The Beatles EP Collection box set.
It was also included on 1998’s Past Masters Volume Two, and again on the 2009 collection Past Masters.
Last updated: 17 April 2018
Also on this day...
- 2014: Grammy Awards celebrate The Beatles in The Night That Changed America
- 1970: Recording: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1970: Ringo Starr appears on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 18
- 1968: Radio: The Kenny Everett Show
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: The Beatles at the George V Hotel, Paris
- 1964: US single release: My Bonnie/The Saints
- 1963: Live: Three Coins Club, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
This stereo mix was made for possible inclusion on the Hey Jude compilation.