John Lennon gave an interview on this day to Kenny Everett, for the presenter's BBC Radio 1 show.
It took place at Kenwood, Lennon's home in Weybridge. Everett took a tape recorder to the house, and recorded the interview in the morning.
In the recording, Lennon appears either tired or under the influence of drugs. He attempts to explain the lyrics to Strawberry Fields Forever, but has trouble remembering the song. He does, however, admit that the song took so long to complete that he lost perspective on its meaning, but was gradually realising that it reflected his confused state of mind at the time.
The interview was broadcast eight days later on The Kenny Everett Show, on Sunday 4 February from 10am to midday.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Grammy Awards celebrate The Beatles in The Night That Changed America
- 1970: Recording: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1970: Ringo Starr appears on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
- 1970: Mixing: The Inner Light
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 16
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: The Beatles at the George V Hotel, Paris
- 1964: US single release: My Bonnie/The Saints
- 1963: Live: Three Coins Club, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.