The Night That Changed America – A Grammy Salute to the Beatles took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Hollywood.
In addition to the former Beatles, performers included Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison, Dave Grohl, Stevie Wonder and a reunion of Eurythmics.
Other guests who took part included Johny Depp, Eric Idle (as The Rutles reporter), Jeff Bridges, Kate Beckinsale and LL Cool J. Watching the show were Nancy Shevell, Barbara Bach, Olivia Harrison, Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon.
Wow what a night IN LA CELEBRATING THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BEATLES LANDING IN AMERICA peace and love to everybody who participatedR ***?
— #RingoStarr (@ringostarrmusic) January 28, 2014
The show featured a three-song set by Starr, before McCartney and his band performed seven songs. Starr joined McCartney for the final two, singing on ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’ and playing drums on ‘Hey Jude’.
— The Beatles (@thebeatles) January 29, 2014
The show was filmed and will be broadcast in the US by CBS on 9 February 2014, the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.
The show will be broadcast on CBS Sunday 9th February at 8pm 50 years to the day, date and time of the band's first appearance #TheBeatles50
— The Beatles (@thebeatles) January 27, 2014
Here’s a silent clip featuring photos from the event:
- ‘All My Loving’ – Maroon 5
- ‘Ticket To Ride’ – Maroon 5
- ‘Don’t Let Me Down’ – John Mayer and Keith Urban
- ‘In My Life’ – Ed Sheeran
- ‘Let It Be’ – Alicia Keyes and John Legend
- ‘Revolution’ – Imagine Dragons
- ‘Yesterday’ – Katy Perry
- ‘The Fool On The Hill’ – Eurythmics
- ‘Here Comes The Sun’ – Pharrell Williams, Brad Paisley, Cirque du Soliel acrobats
- ‘Hey Bulldog’ – David Grohl, Jeff Lynne
- ‘Something’ – Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Dhani Harrison
- ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ – Gary Clark Jr, Joe Walsh, David Grohl
- ‘We Can Work It Out’ – Stevie Wonder
Jeff Bridges introduces Ringo Starr set:
Sean Penn introduces Paul McCartney set:
Also on this day...
- 1970: Recording: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1970: Ringo Starr appears on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
- 1970: Mixing: The Inner Light
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 16
- 1968: Radio: The Kenny Everett Show
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: The Beatles at the George V Hotel, Paris
- 1964: US single release: My Bonnie/The Saints
- 1963: Live: Three Coins Club, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.