While in Los Angeles to promote his film The Magic Christian, Ringo Starr made a taped appearance on the NBC television show Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.
The show was filmed at NBC Television Studio in Burbank, Los Angeles. Starr made a number of cameo appearances alongside other guest stars and the regular cast.
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In was produced by Paul Keyes and Carolyn Raskin. Dan Rowan and Dick Martin were the hosts.
The BBC had started running the series in 1968, and The Beatles were fans. None of Starr's appearances in this episode lasted for more than 30 seconds.
The edition was first broadcast in the US on Monday 23 February 1970, from 8-9pm EST. Its first UK showing was on BBC 2 on Sunday 12 April, from 7.25-8.15pm, the difference in running time due to the absence of commercial breaks on the BBC.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Grammy Awards celebrate The Beatles in The Night That Changed America
- 1970: Recording: Instant Karma! by Plastic Ono Band
- 1970: Mixing: The Inner Light
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 16
- 1968: Radio: The Kenny Everett Show
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: The Beatles at the George V Hotel, Paris
- 1964: US single release: My Bonnie/The Saints
- 1963: Live: Three Coins Club, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.