The purpose of the trip was to show a promotional film at the Capitol Convention in Los Angeles, where record company executives would be able to see The Beatles' intentions for their business. Initially, however, they flew to New York since a direct flight to LA wasn't available.
The party flew from London Airport to New York's John F Kennedy International Airport, where McCartney attempted to contact Linda Eastman.
We literally rushed to the airport to get flights and, since we couldn't get a direct flight to LA, had to make a stopover in New York. The first thing Paul did on arrival at Kennedy on June 20, 1968, was to dig out that check with Linda's number on it that, tellingly, he had carefully kept in his wallet, and telephoned her. She was out, so he got her answering service.
'Hey, I'm in America!' he said. 'Come and hang out for a couple of days. I'm staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel.' He seemed disappointed that she hadn't been in to answer the telephone herself.
Magical Mystery Tours
The following day they continued to Los Angeles, returning to England on 25 June 1968.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, New Jersey
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Hampden Park, Glasgow
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 9
- 1966: Mixing: Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: The Beatles’ European tour begins at Palais des Sport, Paris
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1963: John Lennon apologises for assaulting Bob Wooler
- 1963: The Beatles Ltd is formed
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.