The Beatles' final European tour opened with a concert at the Palais des Sports in Paris.
While leaving London Airport the group learned that fans had been turned away by airport authorities, who had claimed that The Beatles has asked them to stay away. This was later denied by the group and Brian Epstein.
The Beatles and their entourage arrived at the Paris-Orly airport at 9.55am and were taken to the George V hotel. Around 50 fans were waiting at the hotel, far fewer than on their previous visit.
At night they were visited at their hotel by popular French singer Françoise Hardy, before The Beatles went to the Castel nightclub on 15 Rue Princesse, where they partied until the early hours.
The Beatles' set throughout the European tour comprised 12 songs: Twist And Shout, She's A Woman, I'm A Loser, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black, I Wanna Be Your Man, A Hard Day's Night, Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, I Feel Fine, Ticket To Ride and Long Tall Sally.
The tour ended on 3 July 1965 in Barcelona, Spain, and encompassed a total of 15 concerts spread over nine dates.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, New Jersey
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Hampden Park, Glasgow
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 9
- 1968: Paul McCartney flies to New York
- 1966: Mixing: Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1963: John Lennon apologises for assaulting Bob Wooler
- 1963: The Beatles Ltd is formed
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.