Two days ahead of the opening of The Beatles' Apple Boutique at 94 Baker Street, London, a launch party and fashion show was held in the building.
Invitations to the party read 'Come at 7.46. Fashion Show at 8.16.' The times had been chosen by John Lennon.
As there was no alcohol licence at the boutique, the only drink available was apple juice.
Various celebrities were in attendance, and Lennon, Harrison and Cilla Black were interviewed by radio reporter Brian Cullingford for the BBC. It was broadcast at 10pm on Late Night Extra.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr’s Beatles drum kit sells for $2.1 million
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono make Apotheosis 2
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day four
- 1969: Mixing: Hey Jude, Revolution
- 1965: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool – The Beatles’ final Liverpool concerts
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.