It took place from 2.30-5.15pm, and began with two mixes of ‘Hey Jude’. Although the song had previously been mixed in stereo, it was evidently felt that these were unsuited to the US market.
‘Revolution’, which had been the b-side of the ‘Hey Jude’ single in 1968, had never previously been mixed in stereo. It took just one attempt to achieve a satisfactory mix on this day.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr’s Beatles drum kit sells for $2.1 million
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono make Apotheosis 2
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day four
- 1967: Launch party at the Apple Boutique
- 1965: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool – The Beatles’ final Liverpool concerts
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.