All four Beatles, along with their wives and girlfriends, attended the première of Richard Lester’s film How I Won The War at the London Pavilion.
The film, which had been shot in Spain in 1966, featured John Lennon as Private Gripweed. For the premiere Lennon wore a psychedelic outfit, Harrison sported an orange jacket and black velvet trousers, while Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr dressed more conservatively in evening suits.
Other guests at the event were Jimi Hendrix, David Hemmings, his wife Gayle Hunnicut, and singers Cilla Black, Anita Harris and Cass Elliot.
A party was held afterwards at Cilla Black’s apartment at 9b Portland Place.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Fox Theatre, Detroit, Michigan
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts, Jacksonville, Florida
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Covent Garden, London
- 2010: Remastered Red and Blue albums and Harrison/Shankar Collaborations are released
- 1999: UK album release: Working Classical by Paul McCartney
- 1974: UK single release: Walking In The Park With Eloise by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Tape copying: Yer Blues, Don’t Pass Me By
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are arrested for drugs possession
- 1965: Recording: If I Needed Someone, In My Life
- 1964: Recording: Eight Days A Week, Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!, Mr Moonlight, I Feel Fine, I’ll Follow The Sun, Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, Words Of Love
- 1963: Television: Scene At 6.30
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: TV Star Search audition
- 1957: Paul McCartney’s debut with the Quarrymen
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.