On 18 October 2010 (19 October in North America) remastered editions of The Beatles’ compilations 1962-1966 (Red Album) and 1967-1970 (Blue Album) were reissued. On the same days a new box set, Collaborations by Ravi Shankar and George Harrison, was also released.
The Red and Blue albums were first released in 1973, and served as an introduction to the group for many Beatles fans. The first compilations to be issued after their split, the double-disc collections were enormous worldwide sellers.
1962-1966 and 1967-1970 contained a chronological selection of single a-sides and b-sides, and album tracks. They were remastered by the same team at Abbey Road Studios, led by Allan Rouse, which were responsible for The Beatles’ back catalogue remasters. The new sets contain rare photographs and new essays by Bill Flanagan.
Collaborations is a four-disc box set released by Dark Horse Records and Rhino Records. The lavish collection contains remastered versions of three albums – Chants Of India (1997), Ravi Shankar’s Music Festival From India (1976), and Shankar Family & Friends (1974) – all of which were produced by George Harrison.
A DVD of Ravi Shankar’s Music Festival From India, live At The Royal Albert Hall in 1976 is also included, along with a 56-page hardback book containing photographs, comments and quotations by Harrison and Shankar, and an introduction by Philip Glass.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Fox Theatre, Detroit, Michigan
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts, Jacksonville, Florida
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Covent Garden, London
- 1968: Tape copying: Yer Blues, Don’t Pass Me By
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are arrested for drugs possession
- 1967: The Beatles attend the première of How I Won The War
- 1965: Recording: If I Needed Someone, In My Life
- 1964: Recording: Eight Days A Week, Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!, Mr Moonlight, I Feel Fine, I’ll Follow The Sun, Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, Words Of Love
- 1963: Television: Scene At 6.30
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: TV Star Search audition
- 1957: Paul McCartney’s debut with the Quarrymen
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.