The Beatles played four concerts in London over two days during their final UK tour. The first two took place at the Hammersmith Odeon on this day.
They performed 11 songs: ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘She’s A Woman’, ‘If I Needed Someone’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘Nowhere Man’, ‘Baby’s In Black’, ‘Help!’, ‘We Can Work It Out’, ‘Yesterday’, ‘Day Tripper’ and ‘I’m Down’.
Also on this day, the New Musical Express announced the results of its annual Readers Poll. The Beatles were voted Best British Group and Best World Group, while John Lennon was voted British Vocal Personality.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Ericsson Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
- 1976: Album release: Wings Over America by Wings
- 1969: George Harrison live: Falkoner Theatre, Copenhagen with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono meet the parents of A6 Murderer James Hanratty
- 1968: John Lennon rehearses for The Rolling Stones’ Rock And Roll Circus
- 1964: Ringo Starr leaves hospital
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Doncaster
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Blue Gardenia Club, London
- 1960: John Lennon leaves Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.