Following rehearsals on the previous day, The Beatles recorded an appearance for a British edition of US music TV show Shindig! at the Granville Studio in London.
The Beatles were at the top of the bill on the show; the other acts were Sandie Shaw, PJ Proby, The Karl Denver Trio, Tommy Quickly, Sounds Incorporated, and Lyn Cornell. In addition to their performance, The Beatles also appeared in the show's finale with the Karl Denver Trio.
The British edition of Shindig! was first broadcast in the US by ABC on 7 October 1964, but was never shown in Britain.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sonoma Music Festival, Sonoma, California
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Fabulous Fox Theatre, St Louis, Missouri
- 2012: Love Me Don’t: EMI withdraws anniversary single
- 1969: Recording: Don’t Worry Kyoko (Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Recording: Savoy Truffle
- 1966: Brian Epstein denies The Beatles’ split
- 1963: Radio: The Public Ear
- 1963: Recording: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: The Beatles’ last show at the Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.