The piece was commissioned by the New York City Ballet. Ocean’s Kingdom was conducted by John Wilson, produced by John Fraser and performed by The London Classical Orchestra. It was recorded in London in June 2011.
Decca released Ocean’s Kingdom in the UK on 3 October 2011, and it followed in the US on Hear Music/Telarc the next day. It was released on compact disc, vinyl and as a digital download.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sonoma Music Festival, Sonoma, California
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Fabulous Fox Theatre, St Louis, Missouri
- 2012: Love Me Don’t: EMI withdraws anniversary single
- 1975: UK album release: Extra Texture (Read All About It) by George Harrison
- 1969: Recording: Don’t Worry Kyoko (Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Recording: Savoy Truffle
- 1966: Brian Epstein denies The Beatles’ split
- 1964: Television: Shindig!
- 1963: Radio: The Public Ear
- 1963: Recording: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: The Beatles’ last show at the Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.