The single ‘You’ was released on 12 September 1975, with ‘World Of Stone’ on the b-side. It reached number nine in Canada, and was a top 20 hit in the USA and Sweden. In the UK it peaked at number 38.
Extra Texture (Read All About It) was released in the US on 22 September 1975, and in the UK on 3 October. It was a top ten hit in Japan, Norway, and the United States. In the UK it peaked at number 16.
A second single, ‘This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying)’, followed on 8 December in the US, and on 6 February 1976 in the UK. Its b-side was the Dark Horse track ‘Māya Love’.
The single failed to chart on either of the three US singles charts, or the UK’s official top 50. It was Harrison’s first single to miss the Billboard Hot 100, and the first by a former Beatle to not chart in the US.
On 11 November 1975, Extra Texture received a gold disc from the RIAA, for sales of 500,000 units.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sonoma Music Festival, Sonoma, California
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Fabulous Fox Theatre, St Louis, Missouri
- 2012: Love Me Don’t: EMI withdraws anniversary single
- 2011: UK album release: Ocean’s Kingdom by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: Don’t Worry Kyoko (Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Recording: Savoy Truffle
- 1966: Brian Epstein denies The Beatles’ split
- 1964: Television: Shindig!
- 1963: Radio: The Public Ear
- 1963: Recording: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: The Beatles’ last show at the Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.