Recording for the third edition of The Beatles’ BBC radio show From Us To You took place on this day at the BBC Paris Studio in London between 6.30 and 9.30pm.
The group recorded eight songs: ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!’, Forgot To Remember To Forget, ‘You Can’t Do That’, ‘Sure To Fall (In Love With You)’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘Matchbox’ and ‘Honey Don’t’.
John Lennon performed lead vocals on the last song; for the EMI recording, made later in 1964, Ringo Starr took the lead. They also twice sang Whit Monday To You, an off-the-cuff song to the tune of Happy Birthday.
The two-hour show was first broadcast from 10am on 18 May 1964. The theme tune was taken from the 28 February 1964 edition.
One of the day’s performances, I Forgot To Remember To Forget, was included on the 1994 compilation Live At The BBC.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica
- 2012: Album release: Early Takes Volume 1 by George Harrison
- 1969: Mixing: John And Yoko
- 1969: Mixing: Oh! Darling
- 1966: NME Poll-Winners’ show: The Beatles’ final UK concert
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.