Early Takes: Volume 1, the second posthumous George Harrison album, was released on 1 May 2012.
The 10 outtakes and demos originally appeared in the Martin Scorsese documentary George Harrison: Living In The Material World, and were included on a bonus CD with the UK edition of the documentary, released in October 2011.
Early Takes Volume One was given a standalone release on CD and vinyl the following year.
The songs include demos and alternative takes of several well known songs, including a number from Harrison’s 1970 album All Things Must Pass. There is also a version of Bob Dylan’s ‘Mama You’ve Been On My Mind’, and an early performance of ‘Woman, Don’t You Cry For Me’ from Thirty Three & ⅓.
The album charted at number 66 on the UK albums chart, and 20 on the US Billboard 200. In Canada it reached number 51 on the Canadian Albums Chart.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica
- 1969: Mixing: John And Yoko
- 1969: Mixing: Oh! Darling
- 1966: NME Poll-Winners’ show: The Beatles’ final UK concert
- 1964: Radio: From Us To You
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.