In 1963 stereo was secondary in importance to mono, which is why George Martin was able to hurriedly mix every track from With The Beatles for stereo in a three-hour session.
Interestingly, Martin worked on the songs in the order that he'd devised for the album's tracklisting: It Won't Be Long, All I've Got To Do, All My Loving, Don't Bother Me, Little Child, Till There Was You, Please Mister Postman, Roll Over Beethoven, Hold Me Tight, You Really Got A Hold On Me, I Wanna Be Your Man, Devil In Her Heart, Not A Second Time and Money (That's What I Want).
Only the latter song required more work, which was carried out on the following day.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Royal Mint issues limited edition John Lennon £5 coin
- 1968: Mixing: Hey Bulldog, All Together Now, All You Need Is Love, Only A Northern Song
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Recording, mixing: We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Plymouth
- 1963: Live: Sporthallen, Eskilstuna, Sweden
- 1962: Television: People And Places
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.