Twelve days after their debut television appearance on the People And Places show, The Beatles returned to Granada TV Centre in Manchester to film a second performance.
The stage setting was unusual for The Beatles. During Love Me Do, John Lennon sang, seated, as if he were a solo performer fronting a band. The others in the group all stood. During the second song all members played their instruments, although wearing waistcoats rather than their suit jackets.
This edition of People And Places, unlike their first, was not broadcast live. It was shown in the north and north-west of England fro m6.30-7pm on 2 November, by which time The Beatles were in Hamburg.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Royal Mint issues limited edition John Lennon £5 coin
- 1991: US album release: Choba B CCCP by Paul McCartney
- 1973: US single release: Mind Games by John Lennon
- 1968: Mixing: Hey Bulldog, All Together Now, All You Need Is Love, Only A Northern Song
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Recording, mixing: We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Plymouth
- 1963: Live: Sporthallen, Eskilstuna, Sweden
- 1963: Mixing: With The Beatles album
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.