This was the fourth date of The Beatles’ third and final residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany, situated on Große Freiheit off the infamous Reeperbahn.
The Beatles had previously appeared at the Star-Club in April-May and November 1962. This time around they each received a fee of 750 DM (£67) per week. They performed for three hours each night, with a night off on Christmas Day.
The Beatles were reluctant to fulfil this contractual obligation, as their profile in Britain was rapidly ascending. Back home they were enjoying burgeoning chart success, more prestigious live shows, plus television and radio appearances. Despite the enduring fondness they felt towards Hamburg and its residents, there was little the city could do for their career now.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Peter Jackson releases ‘sneak peek’ at documentary The Beatles: Get Back
- 2009: Casting announced for Backbeat stage show
- 2009: Paul McCartney hints at London concert residency
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Get Back album
- 1966: Recording, mixing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Rehearsal: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bradford
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.