This was the third date of The Beatles’ third and final residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg.
The Beatles had previously appeared at the Star-Club in April-May and November 1962. This time around they each received a fee of 750 DM (£67) per week. They performed for three hours each night, with a night off on Christmas Day.
The Beatles were reluctant to fulfil this contractual obligation. Back home in England they were enjoying burgeoning chart success, more prestigious live shows, plus television and radio appearances. Despite the enduring fondness they felt towards Hamburg and its residents, there was little the city could do for their career now.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Echo Arena, Liverpool
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at O2 Academy, Liverpool
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at The O2, Dublin
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for CBC Weekend
- 1969: Television: John Lennon in conversation with Marshall McLuhan
- 1966: Recording: When I’m Sixty-Four
- 1966: Television: Reporting ’66
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1958: Live: wedding reception, Speke, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.