Three tracks of the four-track tape had been filled by the end of the previous session. On this evening, onto the fourth, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison added backing vocals while Ringo Starr played chimes.
Two reduction mixes were then made to free up new tracks. These mixes were numbered 3 and 4, with the latter being marked best. The bass, drums, piano and guitars were combined onto one track, leaving space for the clarinet overdub recorded on the following day.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Echo Arena, Liverpool
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at O2 Academy, Liverpool
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at The O2, Dublin
- 1974: UK album release: Dark Horse by George Harrison
- 1971: US album release: The Concert For Bangladesh by George Harrison & Friends
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for CBC Weekend
- 1969: Television: John Lennon in conversation with Marshall McLuhan
- 1966: Television: Reporting ’66
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1958: Live: wedding reception, Speke, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.