The Beatles gave their 68th lunchtime performance at Liverpool's Cavern Club on this day. It was their final daytime show of 1961 at the venue.
The group's lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 102nd appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Casting announced for Backbeat stage show
- 2009: Paul McCartney hints at London concert residency
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Get Back album
- 1966: Recording, mixing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Rehearsal: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bradford
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.