The cast for the stage adaptation of the Beatles film Backbeat has been announced.
Isabella Calthorpe will play Sutcliffe’s German lover Astrid Kirchherr, while Jamie Blackley has landed the role of George Harrison, and Oliver Bennett will play The Beatles’ original drummer Pete Best.
The story follows the relationship between Sutcliffe and Kirchherr, which developed while The Beatles were performing in Hamburg clubs in the early 1960s.
The stage show of Backbeat will premiere at the Citizens Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland, on Thursday 9 February 2010. It has been written and directed by Iain Softley, the man behind the award-winning 1994 film of the same name.
The play will feature rock ‘n’ roll classics performed by a live band. Tickets for the Glasgow run, which lasts until Saturday 6 March, will cost between £7 and £17 and will be available from the Citizens website.
Also on this day...
- 2020: Peter Jackson releases ‘sneak peek’ at documentary The Beatles: Get Back
- 2009: Paul McCartney hints at London concert residency
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Get Back album
- 1966: Recording, mixing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Rehearsal: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bradford
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.