This was The Beatles’ 20th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle
- 2018: Sir Paul donates Linda McCartney photographs to V&A museum
- 2012: Paul McCartney narrowly avoids helicopter disaster
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono record Two Virgins
- 1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Paul McCartney, Jane Asher, Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox fly to the Virgin Islands
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.