This was The Beatles' first of three performances at the Heswall Jazz Club, which took place at Barnston Women's Institute in Heswall, Wirral.
This date is sometimes given as the first time The Beatles wore suits on stage, after manager Brian Epstein took them to Beno Dorn, a local tailor, to smarten up their image.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 2010: Liverpool to host two-month tribute to John Lennon
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono meet Salvador Dalí
- 1966: The Beatles attend the première of Alfie
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.