John Lennon's life and legacy are to be celebrated in a two-month series of cultural events in the city of Liverpool.
The events will begin on Saturday 9 October 2010, on what would have been his 70th birthday, and will end on Thursday 9 December 2010, the day after the 30th anniversary of his death.
They will included a film festival, lecture series, an international poerty competition, and an art exhibition at Liverpool John Moores University. The culmination will be a memorial concert at Liverpool's 11,000-seat Echo Arena.
White Feather: The Spirit of Lennon, Cynthia and Julian Lennon's exhibition about the life and work of John Lennon, has been extended to run until the end of the year. The exhibition is located at the Beatles Story museum.
The John Lennon Tribute Season is being organised by the Beatles Story, Cavern City Tours, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Mersey Partnership, Liverpool One and Liverpool City Council.
Organisers are hoping the music, film, art and poetry events will bring in tens of thousands of visitors to the birthplace of The Beatles. 2010 will also mark 50 years since the group formed from the ashes of The Quarrymen, and 40 years since they split.
John Lennon is one of the most iconic figures of the 20th century and a Liverpool lad who became known in every corner of the globe. His enduring message of peace is as important now as ever and continues to be an inspiration to many. The John Lennon Tribute Season will allow us to remember him as a man, celebrate his music, and his overall contribution to our city.
The full programme of events is still to be confirmed, but those announced so far include:
- Cavern Club – "Imagine" the tribute with Marcus Cahill (daily)
- Cavern Club – 70th Birthday Celebration Gig including top tribute acts (9 October)
- Film Festival – Liverpool One Odeon (November)
- Lennon Poet 2010: Major International Poetry Competition Final (November< )/li>
- "An Evening With": weekly lecture programme with Lennon friends and family (dates TBC)
- Lennon Art: exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University (dates TBC)
- Lennon Street Entertainers Festival: Liverpool One (October)
- Walking Tours: view Lennon sites with VIP guides (weekly)
- White Feather: The Spirit of Lennon: exhibition by Julian and Cynthia Lennon, Beatles Story museum (ongoing)
- John Lennon Remembered: Memorial Concert at The Echo Arena (9 December; tickets on sale from 9am on 9 April, 0844 8000 400)
It's massively exciting. These are such significant anniversaries this year.
What we're revealing today is headline announcements, but they are just the beginning. There’s going to be much, much more announced in the next couple of months.
And we want to invite all organisations and the people of Liverpool to think of their own contribution to the season. This is for the people of Merseyside, for the people of the UK as well as foreign visitors.
Managing director, Beatles Story
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono meet Salvador Dali
- 1966: The Beatles attend the première of Alfie
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Heswall Jazz Club, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.