The Silver Beetles had played at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard, Wallasey several times in 1960. This was The Beatles' second show at the venue in 1961.
The Grosvenor Ballroom in Wallasey was one of the worst places; there would be a hundred Wallasey lads squaring up to a hundred lads from Seacombe and all hell would break loose. I remember one night a rumble had started before I realised what was happening. I ran to the stage to save my Elpico amp, my pride and joy at the time. There were fists flying everywhere. One Ted grabbed me and said, 'Don't move, or you're bloody dead!' I was scared for my life, but I had to get that amp.
The Beatles performed at the Grosvenor Ballroom on 14 occasions between June 1960 and September 1961. The other dates were 4, 6, 11, 18 and 25 June; 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 July; 24 December 1960; 24 February; and 15 September 1961.
This was also the last engagement for The Beatles booked by Allan Williams, their erstwhile manager who had failed to book any shows for them since their return from Hamburg three months earlier.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Teddy Boy, Two Of Us, Dig A Pony, I’ve Got A Feeling, The Long And Winding Road, Let It Be, Rocker, Save The Last Dance For Me, Don’t Let Me Down, For You Blue, The Walk
- 1967: Recording: Getting Better
- 1965: Travel: Bahamas to London
- 1964: Recording, mixing: Can’t Buy Me Love, Long Tall Sally, I Call Your Name, You Can’t Do That, Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand, Sie Liebt Dich
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Hippodrome, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: St Paul’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.