A cover version of Ben E King’s 1961 classic, ‘Stand By Me’ was the only single issued from Lennon’s 1975 album Rock ‘N’ Roll.
The song was remixed for the single, with an added string overdub. It was Lennon’s final hit before his five-year retreat from the music industry.
In the United Kingdom, ‘Stand By Me’ was released on 18 April 1975.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Teddy Boy, Two Of Us, Dig A Pony, I’ve Got A Feeling, The Long And Winding Road, Let It Be, Rocker, Save The Last Dance For Me, Don’t Let Me Down, For You Blue, The Walk
- 1967: Recording: Getting Better
- 1965: Travel: Bahamas to London
- 1964: Recording, mixing: Can’t Buy Me Love, Long Tall Sally, I Call Your Name, You Can’t Do That, Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand, Sie Liebt Dich
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Hippodrome, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: St Paul’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.