Two days after their debut at the Grosvenor Ballroom, The Silver Beetles returned for a Whitsun bank holiday Monday special concert.
The 'Jive and Rock' event was arranged by promoter Les Dodd, under the aegis of Paramount Enterprises.
Support came from another Liverpool group, Gerry and the Pacemakers. This was the first time the two groups performed on the same bill, but they would play together often in the subsequent months.
The Beatles performed at the Grosvenor Ballroom on 14 occasions between June 1960 and September 1961. The other dates were 4, 11, 18 and 25 June; 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 July; 24 December 1960; 24 February; 10 March; and 15 September 1961.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Casino Rama, Orillia, Ontario, Canada
- 1968: Radio: The Kenny Everett Show
- 1968: BBC interview with John Lennon and Victor Spinetti
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Don’t Pass Me By
- 1966: Recording, mixing: And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, I’m Only Sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby
- 1964: Live: Blokker, the Netherlands
- 1962: Recording: Besame Mucho, Love Me Do, PS I Love You, Ask Me Why – The Beatles’ first Abbey Road recording session
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.