On this day Ringo Starr filmed part of his solo sequence for The Beatles’ debut film A Hard Day’s Night.
The location was the Turks Head pub on Winchester Road in Twickenham, Middlesex. Ringo was filmed trying to eat a stale sandwich, ruining a game of shove ha’penny, accidentally smashing a beer glass, and throwing some badly-aimed darts.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1975: US single release: Stand By Me by John Lennon
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Teddy Boy, Two Of Us, Dig A Pony, I’ve Got A Feeling, The Long And Winding Road, Let It Be, Rocker, Save The Last Dance For Me, Don’t Let Me Down, For You Blue, The Walk
- 1967: Recording: Getting Better
- 1965: Travel: Bahamas to London
- 1964: Recording, mixing: Can’t Buy Me Love, Long Tall Sally, I Call Your Name, You Can’t Do That, Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand, Sie Liebt Dich
- 1963: Live: Hippodrome, Birmingham
- 1962: Live: St Paul’s Presbyterian Church Hall, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.