Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
25 September 2019
12.19pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2621sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think the Trump impeachment thing is a bad idea – the Senate is under Republican control so it inevitably won’t work (assuming the centrist-y Dems in the House don’t stop it there first) so it’ll be a waste of time and look terrible for the Democrats. I normally agree with people like AOC, but their support for this bewilders me. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

25 September 2019
6.45pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
2622sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clinton’s impeachment backfired against the Republicans ….I think Clinton’s popularity surged 15% 

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

QuarryMan
26 September 2019
2.50am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2623sp_Permalink sp_Print

These keep popping up on my youtube account……..

No need for anyone to comment……..Just have a look if you’re anxious ………

26 September 2019
6.32am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2624sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah yes, Andrew Bolt. Quite possibly the reporter with the least credibility in much of Australia – certainly in my part of Melbourne! I’ve never agreed with a single thing he’s said – not one.

One question I’d like answered – how is it possible that upwards of 98% of children (I have no source for that but am basing that upon my experiences of being around other kids my age every day) are vocally supportive of more climate action if we’re being ‘brainwashed’? Brainwashing is very hard to do, and rarely does it capture almost every single person in one demographic this quickly…

The other thing to point out is that kids are actually able to form their own opinions, something that I feel some people (like a few people I know personally, but no one on here), forget. Perhaps it’s time to listen to the kids? We certainly deserve as much of a voice as everyone else.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

26 September 2019
7.20am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2625sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fear is a powerful brainwashing tool…….There are a lot of very fearful scenarios being peddled…….In any case somehow it’s always easier to believe a bad thing than a good one.  

Here like others THGF……..you resort immediately to playing the man and not the ball…….Perhaps that’s the reason why, as the video points out, politicians and others are reluctant to take on the climate fear-mongers………

Perhaps just keep an open and questioning mind……And try to stop your mind from wandering ….where it will go!!

You’re living in the safest climate environment for many many years.

Allow yourself to enjoy the gift of every day……..

26 September 2019
6.03pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2626sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why is it than whenever two sides disagree on something the explanation has to be that one side is being brainwashed? Bringing that sort of conspiratorial thinking into it only distracts from the important issue which is the science. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

26 September 2019
6.43pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2627sp_Permalink sp_Print

Holy feck, 56 new messages? I’m not reading all of these…

All I have to say is this:

1. I’m not quite sure how to feel about impeachment. On one hand, it’s ridiculous to do it so late in his term, and having Mike Pence as a president would really, really suck. On the other hand, impeachment is a good way to launch investigations into things that might otherwise have been overlooked, and that might dissuade people from voting for him next election. So I really don’t know.

2. I think it’s become obvious by now that climate change is real. It has decades of science behind it, true and tangible facts. That’s not a disputable fact. This makes Trump’s idiotic denial even more ridiculous, and the only ‘brainwashing’ going on is going on is within the people who believe everything Trump is telling them ahdn_paul_01

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

26 September 2019
7.35pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2628sp_Permalink sp_Print

On the science of climate change…….

Here’s some more……

26 September 2019
7.44pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2629sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
Why is it than whenever two sides disagree on something the explanation has to be that one side is being brainwashed? Bringing that sort of conspiratorial thinking into it only distracts from the important issue which is the science. 

I didn’t bring brainwashing into this The Hole Got Fixed did…..

And so has 50!

“2. I think it’s become obvious by now that climate change is real. It has decades of science behind it, true and tangible facts. That’s not a disputable fact. This makes Trump’s idiotic denial even more ridiculous, and the only ‘brainwashing’ going on is going on is within the people who believe everything Trump is telling them “

I only answered their claim…..However I think your right there’s climate of brainwashing going on……A rising tide in fact…..

Makes it difficult for us.

I’ve read extensively now….You almost had me on your side of this…..I still don’t know but I’m slowly being less convinced that Climate Change is an existential threat than I was before I began my serious digging.

26 September 2019
7.51pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2630sp_Permalink sp_Print

As for Impeachment……?

How many here still believe Trump colluded with the Russians? Have minds been changed….Or do they still believe in their belief……?

This works for all of us of course ……Me included…

“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.” Mark Twain 

26 September 2019
8.30pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2631sp_Permalink sp_Print

For all those who think climate change isn’t a problem:

https://www.wunderground.com/h……wmo=99999

https://www.wunderground.com/h……wmo=99999

The arctic is about 10 degrees warmer then it was 50 years ago, that’s enough to make a summer in Utqiagvik (the northernmost place in the United States) not just tolerable but enjoyable (at least if your form of enjoyment is walking around for hours while wearing nothing but shorts and a t shirt). If we keep this up, in 200 years it might be 80 degrees at the north pole, which might sound nice at first but this would mean that coastal areas would be flooded and places near the equator would regularly hit 120 degrees.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Richard

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

26 September 2019
9.17pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2632sp_Permalink sp_Print

By studying the amount of titanium 44 in meteorites that have fallen to earth over the last 240 years it has been proved that the sun has gotten hotter. The rise has been most significant over the last 100 years…….It reached and maintained it’s higher than historic levels up until the 1970s but has not gotten hotter since then.  

“The results, detailed in this week’s issue of the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics Letters, “confirm that there was indeed an increase in solar activity over the last 100 years or so,” Usoskin told SPACE.com.

The average global temperature at Earth’s surface has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit since 1880. Some scientists debate whether the increase is part of a natural climate cycle or the result of greenhouse gases produced by cars and industrial processes.

The sun’s impact on climate change has only recently been investigated. Recent studies show that an increase in solar output can cause short-term changes in Earth’s climate, but there is no firm evidence linking solar activity with long-term climate effects.”

It seems to me that there can be and probably are many reasons for the climate changes that have happened cyclically over millions of years……

The science isn’t settled…

Neither of course would I suggest is my understanding…..Still reading up what both sides have to say……

27 September 2019
3.35am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2633sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone who denies climate change is deluded and there is no point in discussing it with those who are suggesting things like children are being brainwashed as they will not be moved from their opinion regardless of what evidence is produced.

The impeachment won’t work against Trump, it’s just an attempt to add more heat but Trump will not care; he does as he pleases and to hell with the consequences, just deny, ignore and/or attack. What’s far more concerning is the voters who continue to believe Trump is basically infallible regardless of what he does as they will be voting for him in the upcoming election. 

UK politics is a farce at the moment but the hypocrisy and fake instant hysteria from all sides (and not just the politicians) is deeply depressing.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

50yearslate

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 September 2019
4.29am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2634sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Anyone who denies climate change is deluded and there is no point in discussing it with those who are suggesting things like children are being brainwashed as they will not be moved from their opinion regardless of what evidence is produced.

The impeachment won’t work against Trump, it’s just an attempt to add more heat but Trump will not care; he does as he pleases and to hell with the consequences, just deny, ignore and/or attack. What’s far more concerning is the voters who continue to believe Trump is basically infallible regardless of what he does as they will be voting for him in the upcoming election. 

UK politics is a farce at the moment but the hypocrisy and fake instant hysteria from all sides (and not just the politicians) is deeply depressing.

The point being discussed is to what extent can climate change be attributed to the activities of man?…And/or are there other possible causations for climate change that should be factored in and considered when after all  the climate has been warming and cooling throughout the earth’s existence?…..Long before man ever appeared.

That question is never answered with any level of precision ….. nevertheless children and others are led into believing the sole source is due to man and that anybody who express doubts about this are crackpots or deceitful charlatans …….The accusers believe they are being scientific when without questioning they make sweeping and unproven statements such as you and most others here make.

The science has a strong consensus but it is still very far from settled………

I don’t know….But……

I’ve seen and demonstrated here how stats’ are very often manipulated to start from the bottom of an 11 year or other regularly repeating cycle to show either a rise in temperature or a sharp descent……

As for Trump? The Impeachment won’t work because, (just like the Russian collusion issue) he hasn’t done anything wrong……

The hypocrisy of the media and the Dem’s calling for Trump’s investigation while poo poohing, and trying to shut down any investigation of Biden and his son is staggering….

I want to write some more about brainwashing as a stand alone issue…..Busy right now.

As for the UK right now…….?

My ‘gasted has never been so ‘flabbered’

Hoping for a speedy resolution via an election or referendum.

27 September 2019
6.28am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2635sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Agreed with that last statement. I just want this whole Brexit mess resolved one way or another so they can go back to actually governing. And I didn’t specifically accuse you of bringing up the brainwashing thing, Wigwam, I was just expressing a general distaste towards that kind of argument. No offence intended john-lennon-salute_gif

27 September 2019
7.24am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2636sp_Permalink sp_Print

I never..well hardly ever take offence…….

And I know i can come over as snotty……..So sometimes I deserve the abuse…….

I’ve already considered dialling down brainwashing to how we are all socially influenced……But it can have a powerful effect on all of us…

Cheers

27 September 2019
7.46am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2637sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said

QuarryMan said

Now that, is some top-quality ‘fake news’. In the video you posted immediately above my comment, the one by Andrew Bolt, in the first minute iirc, talks about brainwashing of children. So none of us brought it up – your source (but not you) did.

Definitely agree with everyone that I want Brexit over – but some of me doesn’t, as I must admit it is actually kind of funny, (coming from a point of view where at worst case scenario, the only way it affects me is that the dual citizenship I’m eligible for (Latvian, but I don’t have it) no longer grants me access to skip queues at British customs)

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Wigwam

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

27 September 2019
1.16pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2638sp_Permalink sp_Print

Politics are such a mess. 

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

QuarryMan, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

27 September 2019
3.33pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2639sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8My mum often says how bizarre it must be for us zoomers, for whom the insanity of the past few years has been the norm

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Richard, Beatlebug

27 September 2019
6.53pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2640sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said

Wigwam said

QuarryMan said

Now that, is some top-quality ‘fake news’. In the video you posted immediately above my comment, the one by Andrew Bolt, in the first minute iirc, talks about brainwashing of children. So none of us brought it up – your source (but not you) did.

I must say you’re right there…….The video does mention brainwashing

Brainwashing wasn’t my main take from that video in fact amongst the other stuff in there it hardly registered…..

Perhaps it’s pertinent that brainwashing comments along with the announcer were the two aspects that you critiqued …….perhaps not?

Any way apologies for casting aspersions my friend.

My first fake news…..And I didn’t even intend it…….I’ve been brainwashed!!!!

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Richard, QuarryMan
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2861
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694