Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
27 October 2019
10.10am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2681sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve got a couple friends going down to the Santiago East mission.  One just left a week ago, although he won’t get to Chile for another 6 weeks.  The other is leaving in January.  I know the mother of the first was way worried about her son’s safety due to the protests down there.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

30 October 2019
3.31am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2682sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, the UK has a general election on 12 December. Easy to say it will end up with a Conservative majority if going by the polls, but if we’ve learned anything it’s that the polls can’t be trusted. Theresa May tried a Brexit election, the conversation widened and she lost. General elections are meant to be about more than one issue, and there is no guarantee Boris Johnson can keep this to being purely a Brexit election. Having lost their biggest asset in Scotland, over Johnson’s leadership, Ruth Davidson, the SNP could again wipe out the Tories in Scotland; while it’s difficult to tell whether Northern Labour voters will switch to the Johnson’s Conservatives, and won’t see the Leave vote split between the Conservatives and the Brexit Party; and in the more Remain South, especially mainly Labour London, there is the possibility the Tories could lose seats, including the Prime Minister’s.

Labour, equally, could be wiped out in a massive backlash against the controversies, indecision and bad leadership that have defined recent years.

There is no way to predict this.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

30 October 2019
3.52am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2683sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would be very interesting if the UK used preferential voting… The lib dem vote is sizeable according to the polls so that’s a factor that can’t be ignored also.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

30 October 2019
8.01am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2684sp_Permalink sp_Print

I reckon it will be massively split. Both Labour and the Tories have massive bases (in 2017 they both got 40%+ of the vote share) but as RN says, they’ve both done a pretty horrendous job in recent years with the Brexit debacle. The Brexit Party and the Lib Dems will no doubt each get a big chunk of the Leave/Remain vote respectively, and then there’s also the Greens and the SNP, who both can capitalise on issues people seem to be caring about more and more i.e Scottish independence and the climate emergency. 

Obviously, we do have First Past The Post which generally tends to annihilate smaller parties, even if they do have widespread support across the country. If it wasn’t for that, I’d be predicting some sort of bizarre rainbow coalition, but honestly I have no idea how things will translate into seats through the current system. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

30 October 2019
9.30am
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
2685sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/n…..feit-vinyl

Ooo modern day counterfeit vinyl.  If theres one think I enjoy coming across when collecting vinyl, it’s counterfeits.  They are such a fun thing to collect.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Wigwam

30 October 2019
4.07pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2686sp_Permalink sp_Print

Twitter is banning all political advertising around the world from its platform from 22 November.

This isn’t about free expression. This is about paying for reach. And paying to increase the reach of political speech has significant ramifications that today’s democratic infrastructure may not be prepared to handle. It’s worth stepping back in order to address.

And, in an obvious dig at Facebook, and Mark Zuckerberg’s recent arguments on their approach to political advertising, added:

It’s not credible for us to say: “We’re working hard to stop people from gaming our systems to spread misleading info, buuut if someone pays us to target and force people to see their political ad…well…they can say whatever they want!”

QuarryMan

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 November 2019
2.57pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2687sp_Permalink sp_Print

People like this really piss me off:

https://www.wrdw.com/nbc26/con…..25321.html

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

2 November 2019
6.05pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I

William Shears Campbell said

Ooo modern day counterfeit vinyl.  If theres one think I enjoy coming across when collecting vinyl, it’s counterfeits. 

I feel the same about breasts these days

2 November 2019
7.52pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2689sp_Permalink sp_Print

…tmi? a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Von Bontee, QuarryMan

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

3 November 2019
7.13pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2690sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
…tmi? a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Sorry if I’ve upset you…….?

4 November 2019
7.31am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members

Audio of alt-right leader Richard Spencer going fully mask off after hearing the news that antifascist protestor Heather Heyer was killed by a white supremacist at the Charlottesville Unite the Right rally he helped organise in 2017 has been leaked. It’s half hilarious because of the voice cracks and how narcissistic he comes across, but it’s also kind of terrifying. 

Content warning: this recording is pretty intense and he drops some anti-Semitic and racist slurs. 

4 November 2019
10.38am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
2692sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not gonna click on that

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

50yearslate, The Hole Got Fixed

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

4 November 2019
1.41pm
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
2693sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
I

Ooo modern day counterfeit vinyl.  If theres one think I enjoy coming across when collecting vinyl, it’s counterfeits. 

Either you like……. or you’re mocking me.  I can’t tell which.  Or maybe you thought I was sarcastic.  I wasn’t. I do have a collection of Introducing… The Beatles counterfeits.

The Hole Got Fixed

4 November 2019
2.45pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2694sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
Not gonna click on that

I don’t blame you at all. It’s grim. In fact, I’m gonna edit the post so the video is just linked in the text. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Von Bontee

4 November 2019
2.59pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2695sp_Permalink sp_Print

While i like how he exposed Richard, there are a few disagreements i have with that video @QuarryMan 

1. While the right was worse at the Unite The Right rally, i still feel Trump was right when he said there were still good and bad people on both sides as there were ANTIFA members inciting violence as well as people who just wanted to preserve a piece of history.

2. Free speech should be for all IMHO, including those like Richard Spencer and their less than pleasant views. While sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter should have the right to ban him and if he said that directly to someone, they should have the right to sue for harassment, i don’t think charges should ever be placed on someone for expressing their political views.

3. I question the legitimacy of this audio because Milo was the one who posted it, someone who himself has a bad reputation. While i can’t say for sure, it’s possible this is just a publicity stunt to make Milo look good after all of the shit he’s said these past 2 years.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

4 November 2019
6.22pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2696sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said

I

Either you like……. or you’re mocking me.  I can’t tell which.  Or maybe you thought I was sarcastic.  I wasn’t. I do have a collection of Introducing… The Beatles counterfeits.

Just a joke……Let me repeat that….Just a joke….Not even a joke that is in any way intentioned to be at your expense……Not directed at you in any way. Sheesh!!  

When I wrote it I knew it was a bit risqué but it gave me a titter!

Let me explain my thinking so there’s no misunderstanding or hurt feelings……..

You said, basically  ‘counterfeits give me pleasure’ 

I thought, ‘yes why not?’……I get that. I have an excellent fake Rolex submariner……that I love. I gave my original  to my son this year rather than have some policeman, (when that inevitable day comes) take it off my lifeless wrist….

The link between, ‘counterfeit vinyl’, (plastic) and ‘silicon breasts’ came bouncing their way into my mind……And I thought ‘Yes there’s a lot to be said for counterfeits…..Sometimes they are great improvements on the real thing.

Now I understood the criticism of my comment being considered as ‘tmi’ ….so I apologised…..But that anyone could consider what I wrote as mocking of you hadn’t crossed my mind for a moment…….

I’m definitely and defiantly un-‘woke’ and out of touch philosophically with many on here …..It seems that also applies to the almost victorian sensitivities applied to  what’s considered acceptable humour theses days.

This reply isn’t intentionally mocking……Perhaps it’s a lament.

4 November 2019
7.56pm
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
2697sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said

Wigwam said

I

Just a joke……Let me repeat that….Just a joke….Not even a joke that is in any way intentioned to be at your expense……Not directed at you in any way. Sheesh!!  

When I wrote it I knew it was a bit risqué but it gave me a titter!

Let me explain my thinking so there’s no misunderstanding or hurt feelings……..

You said, basically  ‘counterfeits give me pleasure’ 

I thought, ‘yes why not?’……I get that. I have an excellent fake Rolex submariner……that I love. I gave my original  to my son this year rather than have some policeman, (when that inevitable day comes) take it off my lifeless wrist….

The link between, ‘counterfeit vinyl’, (plastic) and ‘silicon breasts’ came bouncing their way into my mind……And I thought ‘Yes there’s a lot to be said for counterfeits…..Sometimes they are great improvements on the real thing.

Now I understood the criticism of my comment being considered as ‘tmi’ ….so I apologised…..But that anyone could consider what I wrote as mocking of you hadn’t crossed my mind for a moment…….

I’m definitely and defiantly un-‘woke’ and out of touch philosophically with many on here …..It seems that also applies to the almost victorian sensitivities applied to  what’s considered acceptable humour theses days.

This reply isn’t intentionally mocking……Perhaps it’s a lament.

No offense taken.  I was more just unclear as to how to interpret the comment.  Nonetheless funny comparison. 

Wigwam, Beatlebug

5 November 2019
2.51am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2698sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
While i like how he exposed Richard, there are a few disagreements i have with that video @QuarryMan 

1. While the right was worse at the Unite The Right rally, i still feel Trump was right when he said there were still good and bad people on both sides as there were ANTIFA members inciting violence as well as people who just wanted to preserve a piece of history.

2. Free speech should be for all IMHO, including those like Richard Spencer and their less than pleasant views. While sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter should have the right to ban him and if he said that directly to someone, they should have the right to sue for harassment, i don’t think charges should ever be placed on someone for expressing their political views.

3. I question the legitimacy of this audio because Milo was the one who posted it, someone who himself has a bad reputation. While i can’t say for sure, it’s possible this is just a publicity stunt to make Milo look good after all of the shit he’s said these past 2 years.

I didn’t watch the video past the part where Spencer was talking, I just linked it because it started with that. Definitely share your concerns with the Milo thing. I think the audio is real, but the reason he’s releasing it now is definitely for publicity. Also agree on the free speech thing, people are just not entitled to use somebody else’s platform for it. 

One of my favourite youtubers, Shaun, put together a very interesting video documenting what really happened that day by collecting livestream footage from loads of different sources. It’s worth watching. I haven’t seen much substantial evidence at all that Antifa activists (they’re not ‘members’ because it isn’t a formal organisation) were very violent at all but remember that white supremacists and neo-Nazis are pro-violence by definition, and in this context they were being definitely violent enough to provoke a retaliation, whether or not one is justified. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord

7 November 2019
6.50pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2699sp_Permalink sp_Print

James Dean is to play the role of Rogan in upcoming film Finding Jack, his first film since 1956’s Giant. Oh, and the little incident of his death in a car crash in 1955.

The filmmakers, Magic City Films, couldn’t find any living actor they liked for the role, and so approached the Dean family with the idea of using a CGI Dean to play the role, and were given permission.

Producer Anton Ernst has said they will do their best to keep Dean’s “legacy firmly intact”, adding:

We feel very honoured that his family supports us.

The family views this as his fourth movie, a movie he never got to make. We do not intend to let his fans down.

How incredibly depressing, and – as a Dean fan – I’m already feeling let down.

Yes, I know CGI has been used before to make an actor look much younger than they are or to keep the same actor playing a role after their death (Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing in Rogue One: A Star War Story being an example). And, of course, the devil’s children, advertisers, have done it in adverts. But this is the first time a dead actor has been cast in a new role that they had no previous association with or say on.

Totally appalled, and a film I will never watch – however good it is – purely on principle.

We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan. After months of research, we decided on James Dean.

Feck off, you disgusting grave-robbing barstewards.

Beatlebug

7 November 2019
8.04pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
2700sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agree.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694