Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
7 November 2019
10.01pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2701sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kamala Harris proposed a bill to keep schools open until 6pm so parents can work a full 9-5 job without having to worry about childcare. While i understand why she’s doing this, i hope this doesn’t pass through for a few reasons:

1. Not all schools are created and or staffed equal. Some are really nice with great staff while others are the size of a small restaurant with staff that treat you like shit.

2. The proposal suggests that it’s up the school to opt in/out of the extra hours, not the parent/child.

3. This would leave kids with very little free time, as little as 2 hours depending on their bedtime.

4. AFAIK there’s nothing stating that schools are required to use this extra time for after school activities.

This leads to inconsistencies. On one hand, you can have a nice big school with great staff that has the optional hours for fun after school activities like sports, music, art, and other fun things, as well as serving the students dinner so the parents don’t have to. But on the other hand, you can have a school the size of a diner with bigoted staff that will punish you for any reason they can that requires all students stay till 6pm to do double the amount of schoolwork they’d do had the bill not passed.

Not worth it IMO.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

7 November 2019
10.44pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2702sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with your opinion there, DO.

A far better alternative is the system we have in parts of Australia – something called ‘After School Care’. Basically, an outside company is employed by the school to come in and look after the kids – often based at one school at a central location and a few other schools come from walkable distances. 

As far as I know there’s no out of pocket cost for the families as it’s a government initiative but I could be wrong – if I am I really shouldn’t be…

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

8 November 2019
4.10am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
2703sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven’t seen the bill but I think I agree with you guys. Free time afterwards was the main thing that kept me going through school.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

50yearslate

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

8 November 2019
4.42am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2704sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
I haven’t seen the bill but I think I agree with you guys. Free time afterwards was the main thing that kept me going through school.

Couldn’t possibly agree more. 

It allowed you to learn… without the confines of a curriculum!

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

8 November 2019
9.49am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2705sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said

QuarryMan said

Couldn’t possibly agree more. 

It allowed you to learn… without the confines of a curriculum!

Precisely. Obviously I’m tremendously grateful to all my teachers and so on, but I find I learn a lot more when I’m free to do things at my own pace purely out of personal interest. 

8 November 2019
12.18pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2706sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ack! This better not pass!

So instead of resorting to a reasonable solution like aftercare (my elementary school had it and it worked fine) Kamala wants to take away every child’s free time, give teachers absolutely terrible hours, and probably mess up the children’s sleep schedules while she’s at it? Great plan.

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

QuarryMan

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

9 November 2019
12.55pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2707sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here’s a stunning alternative: how about work hours are reduced instead? 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

50yearslate, Dark Overlord

9 November 2019
1.36pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members

I don’t know how well that would work… especially because some people work long hours because their jobs pay so little it’s necessary to survive.

Then again, we could raise the minimum wage…

don’t mind us BBers, creating national policy here in the news thread…

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

QuarryMan

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

9 November 2019
1.37pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2709sp_Permalink sp_Print

Though when you look at the proposals in the bill, it appears all it is doing is saying that pre-school and after-school provision needs to be offered; it excludes teachers and other school staff being forced to extend their hours, looking to providers outside the school to provide the service; and, most importantly, it is not mandatory for a pupil to attend – that will be the parents decision should they need childcare to accommodate their working hours.

It merely says that a school should offer extended non-curriculum hours to working parents so that they don’t need to pay high private sector costs. It offers the children of lower-income parents that same access to after-school activities that wealthier parents can afford with ease.

Look at what the bill is trying to do before condemning it.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 November 2019
1.53pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2710sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was unable to read the bill online, just news articles about it and the Forbes article was written after i made my post.

Anyways, while it’s great that it’s not mandatory and the activities must be non-curricular, i still feel there are better alternatives to this like cutting the average workday to 9-2 like QuarryMan suggested, which would also give us an excuse to raise the minimum wage to $15 or we can experiment with having free, public, volunteer run day cares.

9 November 2019
2.14pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2711sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Though when you look at the proposals in the bill, it appears all it is doing is saying that pre-school and after-school provision needs to be offered; it excludes teachers and other school staff being forced to extend their hours, looking to providers outside the school to provide the service; and, most importantly, it is not mandatory for a pupil to attend – that will be the parents decision should they need childcare to accommodate their working hours.

It merely says that a school should offer extended non-curriculum hours to working parents so that they don’t need to pay high private sector costs. It offers the children of lower-income parents that same access to after-school activities that wealthier parents can afford with ease.

Look at what the bill is trying to do before condemning it.

So basically beforecare and aftercare? 

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

9 November 2019
2.27pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2712sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, breakfast clubs and after-school activities.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 November 2019
2.52pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2713sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh… that’s good, then. I hope they’re actually decent programs instead of fifty kids in a room with a bored babysitter…

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

12 November 2019
3.08pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
2714sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
Oh… that’s good, then. I hope they’re actually decent programs instead of fifty kids in a room with a bored babysitter…  

My trust in the government to do anything of this sort makes me lean toward suspecting it would be the latter… that’s all I have to say. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 Of course, when it comes to education I’m particularly libertarian as someone who was homeschooled, so… mccartney-shrug_01_gif

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

12 November 2019
5.53pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2715sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think homeschooling can be pretty dangerous too, though (no offence, obviously, since you’re a testament to how well it can go!). Anyone remember that Louis Theroux documentary where he meets those two kids who’d been raised by their mother to be a neo-Nazi pop duo? That’s how badly it can go wrong, if some nutjob like that is given free rein to entirely control the media their children can consume.

Though I’m also not really in favour of government run education, which can be really shoddy and poorly run, and I’m definitely not in favour of private education, since here in the UK nothing does more to perpetuate class differences than private schooling. Which sets me as kinda stumped on this issue. I guess I’d lean most heavily towards community led schools if they could be run with smaller class sizes and without the one-size-fits-all curriculum that comes with public education. 

12 November 2019
6.04pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2716sp_Permalink sp_Print

The only proof needed that unregulated homeschooling is a bad thing is the Westboro Baptist Church or many other cult religions – David Koresh anyone; not all homeschooling is bad, much of it is good, but the situation should never arise where the children involved become invisible to the state, and that their education is completely unmonitored.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

QuarryMan

12 November 2019
7.52pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181

Well, not completely unregulated. I did have to take yearly state tests to make sure we weren’t just being neglected, and I don’t have a problem with that. Yes, I learned to read and write and do basic maths. ahdn_john_08_gif

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

12 November 2019
9.17pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2718sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I went to what was considered to be a good public school (nice suburban middle-class neighborhood), and I still can’t do most basic maths. Maybe if I had been homeschooled…a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug
13 November 2019
6.16am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2719sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess putting too much influence over education in the hands of one group is dangerous in itself. I would generally trust government to run it, but certain things make me lose trust. For example, you’d’ve expected the modern Britain A Level history course that I took to have begun in 1945, and it did, until the Conservative government got in in 2010 and handily nudged the curriculum so it now starts in 1951, conveniently ignoring the 1945-51 Attlee Labour government that many consider one of the best the UK has ever had. 

21 November 2019
9.04pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2720sp_Permalink sp_Print

Marijuana is now legal at a federal level.

https://thehill.com/opinion/ci…..-heres-why

We’re one step closer to living in a world where drugs are safe and legal instead of being some massive underground business run by vicious gangs.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691