Liverpool councillors are to discuss creating a Beatles trail of some of the best-known locations connected to the group.
They are considering teaming up with will discuss the possibility of teaming up with Apple Corps Ltd and Peter Blake, who co-created the cover photograph for Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
The motion, put forward by deputy council leader Flo Clucas, will be debated at a meeting at Liverpool Town Hall on Wednesday 14 October 2009. It states that the idea recognises the “unique contribution of The Beatles to the city and the world,” and “the enduring vibrancy of their music”.
The proposed trail, already being dubbed The Long And Winding Road after The Beatles’ song on Let It Be, would include the route between NEMS record store in Whitechapel to the Cavern Club in nearby Mathew Street.
It was on November 9, 1961, when Brian Epstein went to the Cavern at lunchtime because people had mentioned this band playing there.
He did not know what to expect, but when he saw them he was bowled over, and went back to the shop and said ‘I want to manage that group’.
Everything sprang from that. I think they had such talent they would have made it anyway, but it was just fortuitous that it all came together.
If the council motion is passed, chief executive Colin Hilton will create a report examining various locations. It is hoped the project would becompleted by May 2010, the 40th anniversary of the release of the Beatles’ final album Let It Be.
From my point of view, The Beatles are big business, whatever you think about their music – which I happen to love.
Look at the classic performers like Elvis Presley, and Graceland, his home in Memphis – their home towns exploit it to the full.
Once you get people here their whole perception of the city changes, and I want to build on that.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Ringo Starr live at Planet Hollywood Resort, Las Vegas
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Brandt Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- 2013: UK album release: New by Paul McCartney
- 2011: Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell honeymoon in Mustique
- 2009: The Beatles’ Box Of Vision gets UK and European release
- 1968: Recording, mixing: I Will, Birthday, Savoy Truffle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Long Long Long, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie, What’s The New Mary Jane
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Manchester
- 1964: Television: Scene At 6.30
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.