Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Ken Scott
[amazon template=iframe image2&asin=B000002TZ2]
Ringo Starr was not present for the session, as on this morning he and his family flew to Sardinia for a two-week holiday. He played no further part in the mixing and sequencing of the album.
The day's first task was the creation of stereo mixes of I Will and Birthday, both of which were made in a single attempt. The final recordings for the album were then made. Chris Thomas played electric piano and organ, George Harrison added lead guitar, and tambourine and bongos were all added to Savoy Truffle.
Stereo mixes of Savoy Truffle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie and What's The New Mary Jane were the last task of this long night. The last of these was evidently still being considered for inclusion on the White Album, but in the course of the next few days it was decided to omit it from the running order.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Ringo Starr live at Planet Hollywood Resort, Las Vegas
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Brandt Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- 2013: UK album release: New by Paul McCartney
- 2011: Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell honeymoon in Mustique
- 2009: Liverpool considers Beatles Trail of iconic locations
- 2009: The Beatles’ Box Of Vision gets UK and European release
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Manchester
- 1964: Television: Scene At 6.30
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.