The piece was written in English and Latin, with a score for orchestra and choir. Its title translates as ‘Behold my heart’, and in a religious context refers to the sacred heart of Jesus. The words Ecce Cor Meum featured as a motto on McCartney’s coat of arms.
Ecce Cor Meum was released in the UK on 25 September 2006, where it topped the classical charts.
It was issued on the following day in the USA, and reached number two on the classical charts.
In addition to the conventional compact disc release, there was a deluxe edition with an embossed cover and 60-page booklet, which was deleted after initial orders had been sold.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Olivia Harrison wins Friar Park fence battle
- 1997: US album release: Standing Stone by Paul McCartney
- 1970: UK album release: Beaucoups Of Blues by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Recording: Cold Turkey by Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney attend the UK première of Midnight Cowboy
- 1969: Mixing: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Editing, recording, mixing: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
- 1967: Recording, mixing: The Fool On The Hill
- 1967: Editing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: The Beatles’ cartoon series begins in the United States
- 1962: Live: Heswall Jazz Club, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.